A Course in Miracles was introduced to me during my period of intense healthy anxiety. For awhile, it was the only thing that could get through to me, and I read from it daily.
In this article, I’m sharing soothing, comforting quotes from A Course in Miracles on the topics of fear, love and healing that spoke to me, and I hope they do the same for you.
What does A Course in Miracles Teach?
A Course in Miracles is a complete self-study spiritual thought system that teaches that the way to universal love and peace–or remembering God–is by undoing guilt through forgiving others, healing our relationships and making them holy. – Foundation for Inner Peace
I had actually steered clear of this book for a long time because I didn’t understand it. I saw it as the New Age version of the Bible, and still recovering from my religious upbringing, I wasn’t interested in it.
But as I’ve read the work of Neville Goddard, who translates the parables of the Bible to show that they are all very metaphorically wise, consistently referring to the laws of the universe and the power of Mind, I’ve come to realize the Bible itself has been grossly misinterpreted itself.
Coming back around to A Course in Miracles, which was written by Helen Schucman who believed she channeled the information from Jesus, I began to see this book as well from a different, higher perspective.
If you can get past the wording (in almost anything, really) you can find the wisdom that it contains. Words are just words; the only meaning they have is what we choose to give to them.
How does A Course in Miracles work?
A Course in Miracles works by helping you to shift your mindset. Undoing fear and stepping into love is what ACIM teaches. Your thoughts create your reality and therefore, if you can shift these thoughts from fear to love, your reality will change.
Also for the sake of clarity, I’m going to share a few key definitions that we read frequently in ACIM and what they are intended to mean, since most of these words take on a different meaning in contemporary Christianity. These definitions were written by Robert Perry.
Harmful, unloving thoughts (called “attack thoughts”), words, or deeds. The essence of everything the ego does.
Atoning means undoing. The undoing of fear is an essential part of the Atonement value of miracles.
The extension of God; God’s one Son and one creation; the single Self that is shared by all minds, all of whom are equal members of the Sonship. Does not refer to Jesus, who is simply one of these members, one who has fully awakened to our shared Identity as Christ.
The belief in being a separate self (“I am me and you are not”) whose needs are met through attack (“I am end and you are means”). This belief gives rise to our experience of being a separate entity bounded by a body. This experience is an illusion, since our true Identity is one with the All.
The feeling that stems from the belief in approaching danger, from the expectation of attack. The Course teaches that we only expect to be attacked because we secretly believe that we are sinful and thus deserving of attack. Fear is the essential mood of the ego.
The relinquishment of our false perception that another sinned against us, and that we are therefore justified in resenting that person. Releasing this perception that resentment is justified automatically releases the resentment. This definition contrasts with the conventional one, which assumes that we can let go of our resentment without letting go of the perception that causes it.
The eternal, unbounded Person Who is the Creator of all that is real, and Who is the goal of all desire. God is pure Mind, pure Spirit, and is only Love; there is no anger or attack in Him. According to the Course, God did not create the physical world. He created only Christ, His Son, to Whom He gave all of His Love and all of Himself.
The painful emotion that stems from believing that you have sinned and have thus corrupted your being, making yourself worthy of punishment and unworthy of love. The Course teaches that this belief is false, for your true nature as God’s holy Son is incorruptible.
The single emotion of Heaven. In love we view something as so attractive, so compatible with us, that we go out to it, give ourselves to it, and join with it. We can only truly love as God does, Who loves everyone equally and totally. Special love, which is selective and partial, is really hate masquerading as love.
The activity of the Holy Spirit which shifts our perception from the false to true and thereby grants an unconditional, instantaneous, and free deliverance from the imprisoning (yet illusory) problems of this world. We accept miracles into our own minds, extend them to others (which is the primary meaning of the world in the Course), and thereby recognise that we have received them.
Liberation from the entire separated condition in which we feel alone, afraid, guilty, and cut off from god. Salvation is of the mind, through the reversal of our thinking. It is not of the body, through purifying the body or forcing it to behave properly; nor is it of the spirit, which was never lost and so need not be saved.
The violation of the laws of God or goodness. An attack that attempts to do harm for the sake of selfish gain and that succeeds, that results in real harm. Sin is an illusion, for no one can truly be harmed, since in truth we are all God’s changeless Son. What appears to be a sin is merely a mistake, which calls for help rather than punishment.
To sin is to ‘miss the target’ – the target is God, God is Love, therefore to sin is to move away from love. Take aim again and respond truly. Practice some more.
This book has very deep truths, which is why I wanted to write this article. Below I’ve recorded 84 powerful quotes from A Course in Miracles that are on the topics of fear, love and healing.
I hope they bring you comfort and help you to remember your true power.
A Course in Miracles quotes on fear
1. “Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God.”
2. “Miracles enable you to heal the sick and raise the dead because you made sickness and death yourself, and can therefore abolish both. You are a miracle, capable of creating in the likeness of your Creator. Everything else is your own nightmare, and does not exist. Only the creations of light are real.”
3. “The one wholly true thought one can hold about the past is that it is not here. To think about it at all is therefore to think about illusions.”
4. “Miracles are associated with fear only because of the belief that darkness can hide. You believe that what your physical eyes cannot see does not exist. This leads to a denial of spiritual sight.”
5. “Miracles honor you because you are lovable. They dispel illusions about yourself and perceive the light in you. They thus atone for your errors by freeing you from your nightmares. By releasing your mind from the imprisonment of your illusions, they restore your sanity.”
6. “Darkness is a lack of light as sin is lack of love. It has no unique properties of its own. It is an example of the “scarcity” belief, from which only error can proceed. Truth is always abundant. Those who perceive and acknowledge that they have everything have no needs of any kind.”
7. “All aspects of fear are untrue because they do not exist at the creative level, and therefore do not exist at all. To whatever extent you are willing to submit your beliefs to this test, to that extent are your perceptions corrected.”
8. “Where there is fear, it is because you have not made up your mind.”
9. “You are not upset for the reason you think. There is only one problem, choosing fear over love.”
10. “Only your mind can produce fear. It does so whenever it is conflicted in what it wants, producing inevitable strain because wanting and doing are discordant.”
11. “The first corrective step in undoing the error is to know first that the conflict is an expression of fear. Say to yourself that you must somehow have chosen not to love, or the fear could not have arisen.
12. “Very simply, then, you may believe you are afraid of nothingness, but you are really afraid of nothing. And in that awareness you are healed.”
13. “In your brother is the light. See him as sinless, and there can be no fear in you.”
14. “The world does nothing to him. He only thought it did.”
15. “Trust would settle every problem now.”
16. “There is no time, no place, no state where God is absent. There is nothing to be feared.”
A Course in Miracles quotes on love
17. “Every loving thought is true. Everything else is an appeal for healing and help, regardless of the form it takes.”
18. “When you want only love, you will see nothing else.”
19. “You have no idea of the tremendous release and deep peace that comes from meeting yourself and your brothers totally without judgement.”
20. “All forgiveness allows Love to return to my awareness. I will see a world of peace and safety and joy.”
21. “Love will immediately enter into any mind that truly wants it.”
22. “Corrective learning begins with the awakening of spirit, and the turning away from belief in physical sight.”
23. “Forgiveness is the key to happiness.”
24. “Let me look on the world I see as the representation of my own state of mind.”
25. “Love holds no grievances.”
26. “I am affected only by my thoughts.”
27. “God calls and you do not hear, for you are preoccupied with your own voice.”
28. “If you did not feel guilty, you could not attack.”
29. “The miracle comes quietly into the mind that stops an instant and is still.”
30. “You have so little faith in yourself because you are unwilling to accept the fact that perfect love is in you, and so you seek without for what you cannot find within.”
31. “To forgive is merely to remember only the loving thoughts you gave in the past, and those that were given you.”
32. “When you meet anyone, remember it is a holy encounter. As you see him you will see yourself. As you treat him you will treat yourself.”
33. “Do you prefer that you be right or happy?”
34. “The Holy Spirit sees the world as a teaching device for bringing you home.”
35. “Love has no darkened temples where mysteries are kept obscure and hidden from the sun.”
36. “In the creation, God extended to Himself to His creations and imbued them with the same loving Will to create. You have not only been fully created, but have also been created perfect. There is no emptiness in you. Because of your likeness to your Creator you are creative.”
37. “There is an ancient peace you carry in your heart and have not lost.”
38. “Heaven is not a place or a condition. It is merely an awareness of perfect oneness.”
39. “Fear is really nothing and love is everything. Whenever light enters darkness, the darkness is abolished. What you believe is true for you.”
40. “You need to hear the truth about yourself as frequently as possible, because your mind is so preoccupied with false self-images.”
41. “Innocence is wisdom because it is unaware of evil, and evil does not exist.”
42. “If you identify with the ego, you must perceive yourself as guilty. Whenever you respond to your ego you will experience guilt, and you will fear punishment. The ego is quite literally a fearful thought.”
43. “Whatever you accept into your mind has reality for you. It is your acceptance of it that makes it real. If you enthrone the ego in your mind, your allowing it to enter makes it your reality.This is because the mind is capable of creating reality or making illusions. I said before that you must learn to think with God. To think with Him is to think like HIm. This engenders joy, not guilt, because it is natural. Guilt is a sure sign that your thinking is unnatural. Unnatural thinking will always be attending with guilt, because it is the belief in sin. The ego does not perceive sin as a lack of love, but as a positive act of assault.”
44. “Delusional ideas are not real thoughts, although you can believe in them. But you are wrong.”
45. “What you see reflects your thinking, and your thinking but reflects the choice of what you want to see.”
46. “Seek not to change the world, but choose to change your mind about the world.”
47. “All your past except its beauty is gone…and nothing is left but a blessing.”
48. “Joy and peace are my inheritance.”
49. “Peace of mind is clearly an internal matter. It must begin with your own thoughts, and then extend outward.”
50. “It’s not up to you what you learn, but only whether you learn through joy or through pain.”
A Course in Miracles quotes on healing
51. “All healing is essentially the release from fear.”
52. “Infinite patience produces immediate results.”
53. “If the mind can heal the body but the body can’t heal the mind, then the mind must be stronger than the body.”
54. “There is no order of difficulty in miracles. One is not ‘harder’ or ‘bigger’ than another. They are all the same. All expressions of love are maximal.”
55. “Miracles are thoughts. Thoughts can represent the lower or bodily level of experience, or the higher spiritual level of experience.”
56. “All disease comes from a state of unforgiveness.”
57. “Miracles rearrange perception and place all levels in true perspective. This is healing because sickness comes from confusing the levels.”
58. “The body cannot create, and the belief that it can, a fundamental error, produces all physical symptoms.”
59. “All material means that you accept as remedies for bodily ills are restatements of magic principles. This is the first step in believing that the body makes its own illness.”
60. “Sometimes the illness has a sufficiently strong hold over the mind to render a person temporarily inaccessible to the Atonement. In this case it may be wise to utilize a compromise approach to the mind and body, in which something from the outside is temporarily given healing belief. This is because the last thing that can help the non-rightminded, or the sick, is an increase in fear. They are already in a fear-weakened state.”
61. “As long as you believe in what your physical sight tells you, your attempts at correction will be misdirected.”
62. “But fear of the body, with which the ego identifies so closely, makes no sense at all. The body is the ego’s home by its own election.”
63. “The guiltless mind cannot suffer. Being sane, the mind heals the body because it has been healed. The sane mind cannot conceive of illness because it cannot conceive of attacking anyone or anything.”
64. “Whenever you see another as limited to or by the body, you are imposing this limit on yourself. Are you willing to accept this, when your whole purpose for learning should be to escape from limitations?
65. “Do not allow the body to be a mirror of a split mind. Do not let it be can image of your own perception of littleness.”
66. “Health is seen as the natural state of everything when interpretation is left to the Holy Spirit. Health is the result of relinquishing all attempts to use the body lovelessly.”
67. “Wholeness heals because it is of the mind.”
68. “You need do so little because your little part is so powerful that it will bring the whole to you. Accept, then, your little part, and let the whole be yours.”
69. “All forms of sickness, even unto death, are physical expressions of the fear of awakening.”
70. “Our minds are whole because they are one. If you are sick you are withdrawing from me.”
71. “When you limit yourself we are not of one mind, and that is sickness. Yet sickness is not of the body, but of the mind. All forms of sickness are signs that the mind is split, and does not accept unified purpose.”
72. “When you think you are attacking yourself, it is a sure sign that you hate what you think you are. No one is separate, and so no one is sick.”
73. “To believe that a Son of God can be sick is to believe that part of God can suffer. Love cannot suffer, because it cannot attack.”
74. “Sickness is idolatry, because it is the belief that power can be taken from you. Yet this is impossible, because you are part of God, Who is all power.”
75. “When you do not value yourself, you become sick.”
76. “When a brother is sick it is because he is not asking for peace, and therefore does not know he has it. The acceptance of peace is the denial of illusion, and sickness is an illusion. Yet every Son of God has the power to deny illusions anywhere in the Kingdom, merely by denying them completely in himself. I can heal you because I know you. I know your value for you, and it is this value that makes you whole. A whole mind is idolatrous, and does not know of conflicting law. I will heal you merely because I have only one message, and it is true. Your faith in it will make you whole when you have faith in me.”
77. “No one can die unless he chooses death. What seems to be the fear of death is really its attraction. Guilt, too, is feared and fearful, yet it could have no hold at all except on those who are attracted to it and seek it out. And so it is with death, made by the ego, its dark shadow falls across all living things, because the ego is the ‘enemy’ of life.”
78. “Healing is accomplished the instant the sufferer no longer sees any value in the pain.”
79. “The acceptance of sickness as a decision of the mind, for a purpose for which is would use the body, is the basis of healing.”
80. “Who is the physician? Only the mind of the patient himself. The outcome is what he decides that it is. Special agents seem to be ministering to him, yet they but give form to his own choice. He chooses them in order to bring tangible form to his desires. And it is this they do, and nothing else. They are not actually needed at all. The patient could merely rise up without their aid and say, ‘I have no use for this.’ There is no form of sickness that would not be cured at once.
81. “What is the single requisite for this shift in perception? It is simply this; the recognition that sickness is of the mind, and has nothing to do with the body.”
82. “Herein is the release from guilt and sickness both, for they are one. yet to accept this release, the insignificance of the body must be an acceptable idea.”
83. “These patients do not realize they have chosen sickness. On the contrary, they believe that sickness has chosen them. Nor are they open-minded on this point. The body tells them what to do and they obey. They have no idea how insane this concept is. If they even suspected it, they would be healed. Yet they suspect nothing. To them the separation is quite real.”
84. “Behold, you Son of God, what life can offer you. Would you choose sickness in place of this?”
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this article and found something to take away with you.
For holistic self-care tips every Sunday afternoon, you can sign up for the Dwell in Magic weekly newsletter.
If you’d like more real life examples of daily self-care, you can connect with me on Instagram.
And if you’d like more direct support and community with like-minded people, come join the Dwell in Magic Facebook group.
Jessica Dimas is the author of Sacred Self-Care for Your Chakras.
Latest posts by Jessica Dimas (see all)
- 84 Comforting Quotes from A Course in Miracles on Fear, Love & Healing - February 12, 2020
- How to Heal the Mind Body Spirit Connection - February 11, 2020
- Easily Heal Your Inner Child Through Reparenting Yourself - February 10, 2020