Rumi quotes on life and love are some of the most beautiful contemplations one can read. Rumi was a wise, ahead-of-his-time poet and scholar and I’m excited to share with you some of my favorite quotes of his.
Who is Rumi?
Rumi, according to Wikipedia, was “a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic.”
I am a huge fan of Rumi quotes on life because they’re powerful, contemplative and they pull you back out of your head and remind you of what’s important.
15 Rumi quotes on life and love
These are my favorite 15 quotes from Rumi and I added a life lesson I took from every quote. I hope you enjoy!
1. “I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think.”
Life lesson: follow what your heart desires, even if it seems impossible, and don’t worry about what anyone else thinks. You wouldn’t have the dream if it wasn’t meant for you to have.
2. “Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.”
Life lesson: let go of your rational, cynical, logical, calculated mind and let the Universe surprise you; find the beauty and magic all around you.
3. “Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.”
Life lesson: do things that bring you joy; there are hundreds of ways to feel so in love with life and connect with your inner being and the universe at large.
4. “Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death.”
Life lesson: don’t keep company with those who drag you down and encourage you to see the negative in life. Don’t inundate yourself with news from mainstream media that puts worry, sadness, or fear in your heart. Find people and things that uplift you, encourage you, and inspire you to move forward.
5. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
Life lesson: stop making yourself smaller so that others are more comfortable–don’t be afraid of your greatness. You are a part of the Universe, the hands of God, love in physical form. You came here to expand, take up space and enjoy this life to its fullest.
6. “There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. You feel it, don’t you?”
Life lesson: there is so much passion and love within you, waiting to be fully released. There’s so much longing and desire that your inner being is called your towards that would light you up. Trust your feelings, they’ll guide you to that place.
7. “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”
Life lesson: you are a CREATOR. You came to fully experience this delicious life. You have infinite intelligence within you and can create your reality from thin air. Choose abundance in all things; it’s your birthright.
8. “Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.”
Life lesson: every person in your life reflects back to you a piece of yourself. Even the most difficult people we know bring invaluable awareness of ourselves, and that is a Divine gift.
9. “Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself.”
Life lesson: you are connected to infinite intelligence and are a creator, a piece of the universe itself. Every resource that you could ever need lives within. Start seeing yourself for what you really are and stop looking on the outside for your saving.
10. “Be empty of worrying. Think who created thought! Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open?”
Life lesson: your thoughts create your perception of reality. What you believe is what you experience and see on a daily basis. Why limit yourself when you could have so much more?
11. “Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love.”
Life lesson: do the things that fill you with passion and joy. Stop saying yes when you want to say no. Stop sacrificing your joy and inner peace in the name of people-pleasing. Follow the gut reactions and pulls within your heart.
12. “What you seek is seeking you.”
Life lesson: when you imagine a desire, you get on its radar. Like two lovers looking at each other from across a crowded room, your desire will continue to seek you until you become it. Manifestation is the culmination of the two coming together.
13. “The wound is the place where the light enters you.”
Life lesson: your greatest pain is the biggest light you carry. In its creation, an even stronger desire for its opposite was born. There is nothing in your life that has happened in vain. Your soul gained only more wisdom.
14. “Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious.”
Life lesson: don’t live the life you think you are supposed to live, according to others rules and beliefs. Do things out of the ordinary. Invent new ways. Be brave and fearless. Don’t be afraid to not follow the crowd.
15. “Yesterday I was so clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
Life lesson: you didn’t come here to change the world, you came to grow and expand your own soul. Let the world be while you focus on seeing how much more you can love yourself every day and stay busy creating the reality of your dreams.
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this article! For spiritual self-care tips every Sunday afternoon, you can sign up for the Dwell in Magic weekly newsletter.
If you’d like more real life examples of daily spiritual self-care, you can connect with me on Instagram.
And if you’d like more direct support and community with like-minded people, come join the Dwell in Magic Facebook group.
Lots of love,
Jessica Dimas is the author of Anything Can Be: A Reference Guide for Applying the Law of Attraction. Connect with her on Facebook and Instagram for more inspiration and updates.
- UsingEFT Tapping to Heal Your Mind, Body & Life - March 28, 2020
- The Ultimate List of Ideas for Self-Care During Quarantine - March 18, 2020
- Ho’oponopono: How to Uplevel Every Area of Your Life in 4 Steps - March 17, 2020