Finding fun ways to implement self-care into your life is one of the keys to actually practicing and benefiting from it. There are a myriad of ways to do this, and one of them is by dedicating a day of the week to it, such as Self-Care Sunday.
It’s a day you can look forward to and by putting it on your calendar, you are guaranteed a weekly date with yourself. In this article, I’ll share what true self-care is, why it’s important, and ideas for creating your own Self-Care Sunday routine.
A true self-care routine
Mainstream self-care advice will have you thinking that wearing a face mask is everything you need as a grown ass woman (or man, which in your case it’s having a beer if you even dare claim anything as self-care in your life) in order to reset yourself.
True self-care is for sure subjective, but overall it should be helping you to process and release emotions, realign with who you really are, and bring you into deeper feelings of inner peace.
When these things are on your weekly schedule, life begins to flow in the most magical of ways. Your vibration and zest for life increases, your mind is at peace more often than not, and feelings of resentment and irritation become less and less.
Life is never “perfect”, but it is easier and more fulfilling when a person is in the habitual practice of caring for themselves.
Why self-care is so important
Self-care is so important because it touches on all aspects of person’s well-being.
Spiritual self-care brings connection and trust.
Mental self-care brings inner peace and clarity.
Emotional self-care brings joy and excitement.
Physical self-care brings confidence and esteem.
When any of these areas are neglected, we can feel it. Our worlds don’t crumble right away, but we feel off and not at our best. We are meant to be in connection with ourselves, and when we are, we thrive.
How to have a Self-Care Sunday
If you’re new to self-care or are simply wanting to find a new, fun way to bring it back into your life, dedicating Sunday as your self-care day is great way to realign with yourself and prepare for the week.
When you start Monday feeling blissed out, you’ll see why Self-Care Sunday can be so beneficial. Here’s how to set up your very own Self-Care Sunday routine.
1. Get intentional
What one person needs or finds relaxing is not going to be the same for the next person. Start out by asking yourself some intentional questions so that you can figure out what exactly it is you’re needing to implement.
Use these questions to help bring some clarity:
- What is my biggest stressor/s currently in my life?
- What self-care activity could help me process or relieve this?
- What have I always found to be super relaxing for me?
- What time of the day would work best for me?
- What area of self-care am I really lacking in?
- What would be an easy activity I could do that would address this area?
- What area of self-care am I most interested in?
- What’s something I always want to do but never seem to get to?
It’s helpful to revisit these types of questions every few months or so. The thing about a self-care routine is that it needs to evolve along with you.
You are always changing and expanding, so your self-care routine needs to be updated throughout the year to accommodate where you are.
2. Self-Care Sunday ideas
The possibilities for things to add to your self-care routine are endless. Anything that serves your well-being is completely appropriate to add to your routine, no matter how “unconventional” it is.
Here are some ideas for your Self-Care Sunday routine.
- Reading from an inspirational book
- Writing a gratitude list
- Disconnecting from social media
- Planning your week
- Sitting with emotions & observing them (they dissipate when we observe rather than identify with them)
- Watching or listening to something that makes you feel good (my favorite is Abraham recordings on YouTube)
- Letting yourself cry
- Stretching, walking, dancing, moving, sweating
- Eating foods that make you feel good
- Deep breathing
- Taking a long, relaxing bath
3. Sample Self-Care Sunday routine
Whether you have a lot of time to devote to your Self-Care Sunday or only a little bit, the overall vibe should be a chill one. Try not to get anal about it or be a perfectionist.
The goal is to relax, connect, and realign. It is not to check boxes off or feel guilty about if it doesn’t unfold in an unrealistic, perfect way.
Here’s a Self-Care Sunday routine example to give you some ideas:
- Do your favorite thing (coffee, eat a good breakfast, running, showering, whatever)
- Read from an inspirational morning book
- Write a gratitude list
- Move your body in a way that feels good
- Take a nap or relax in some other way
- Journal your emotions from the past week and how you want to feel this week
- Spend some time planning for the week ahead
- Take a warm bath with epsom salt to clear your energy field
- Pull some cards for clarity and inspiration
- Take several deep breaths and then meditate on a sound for 15-20 minutes
Have fun with it
I’ve listed several possible ideas in this post, but they are just the tip of the iceberg for all the things you could incorporate into your personal routine.
The best thing you can do to figure out what you’re needing is to ask yourself: what would be the most fun thing for me to do right now?
You can’t go wrong with that. Be lighthearted about your routine and just have the overall goal to feel good. Some Sundays you might want to lounge and Netflix all day. Another Sunday you might want to declutter your space and write a to-list for the week.
Follow your intuition and bliss. Have fun with it.
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this article and found something to take away with you.
For holistic self-care tips every Sunday afternoon, you can sign up for the Dwell in Magic weekly newsletter.
If you’d like more real life examples of daily self-care, you can connect with me on Instagram.
And if you’d like more direct support and community with like-minded people, come join the Dwell in Magic Facebook group.
Jessica Dimas is the creator of Manifesting Magic with the Moon, a holistic self-care ritual bundle.
- 10 Manifestation Journal Examples That Will Powerfully Shift Your Reality - February 20, 2021
- The Best Witch Subscription Boxes for 2021 - February 1, 2021
- 5 Profound Ways to Connect With Your Spirit Guides - January 24, 2021