Self-compassion quotes are quick yet powerful reminders that it's good to love yourself. It is not only just good–it is necessary and crucial.
In this article, I'm sharing what self-compassion is and then 31 self-compassion quotes that will show you the why's and how's of practicing this form of self-love.
What is self-compassion?
Self-compassion is essentially seeing yourself through eyes of love. It is extending the grace and kindness that you typically give to others, because that is your true nature, and giving it to yourself.
When you are self-compassionate, you relax and stop being so hard on yourself. You start realizing that this critical voice in your head is coming from the place of a scared, confused inner child.
And what do scared, confused children need? Do they need more berating, shaming, or threats? Of course not. They need love, reassurance, forgiveness, and kindness.
I personally like to step back and look at me, Jessica, as this personality I'm embodying for this one lifetime. The essence of me is not defined by the "mistakes" of Jessica, which hold the very important purpose of expanding my overall awareness.
I am, and you are, the eternal love that is always observing. The limitations of your human personality are there for growth and nothing more.
You will thrive when you begin to give yourself the compassion and love that you have unconsciously withheld from yourself for so long. Let today be the day you begin.
31 self-compassion quotes
1. Being human is not about being any one particular way; it is about being as life creates you—with your own particular strengths and weaknesses, gifts and challenges, quirks and oddities. - Kristin Neff
3. "You have peace," the old woman said, "when you make it with yourself." - Mitch Albom
4. Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others. - Christopher Germer
5. Self-compassion is a way of emotionally recharging our batteries. Rather than becoming drained by helping others, self-compassion allows us to fill up our internal reserves, so that we have more to give to those who need us. - Kristin Neff
6. Self-compassion is nurturing yourself with all the kindness and love you would shower on someone you cherish. - Debra Reble, PhD
7. Self-compassion is key because when we're able to be gentle with ourselves in the midst of shame, we're more likely to reach out, connect, and experience empathy. - Brené Brown
8. You're already stuck with yourself for a lifetime. Why not improve this relationship? - Vironika Tugaleva
9. With mindfulness, loving kindness, and self-compassion, we can begin to let go of our expectations about how life and those we love should be. - Sharon Salzberg
11. Unlike self-criticism, which asks if you're good enough, self-compassion asks, what's good for you? - Kristin Neff
12. If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete. - Jack Kornfield
13. The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. - Joseph Campbell
14. A moment of self-compassion can change your entire day. A string of such moments can change the course of your life. - Christopher Germer
15. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection. - Buddha
16. So why is self-compassion a more effective motivator than self-criticism? Because its driving force is love, not fear. - Kristin Neff
17. Self-compassion–being supportive and kind to yourself, especially in the face of stress and failure–is associated with more motivation and better self-control. - Kelly McGonigal
18. Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are. - Malcolm Forbes
19. You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody. - Maya Angelou
20. You've been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn't worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens. - Louise Hay
21. To be self-compassionate is not to be self-indulgent or self-centered. A major component of self-compassion is to be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with love, care, dignity and make your well-being a priority. With self-compassion, we still hold ourselves accountable professionally and personally, but there are no toxic emotions inflicted upon and towards ourselves. - Christopher Dines
22. Self-compassion: not judging yourself or allowing others to judge you, not blaming yourself, getting to know and accepting yourself, forgiving yourself, loving yourself, helping yourself overcome insecurities, respecting yourself and protecting yourself. - Unknown
23. One thing is for sure–you will make mistakes. Learn to learn from them, learn to forgive yourself, learn to laugh when everything falls apart because, sometimes, it will. - Vironika Tugaleva
24. Perhaps, we should love ourselves so fiercely, that when others see us they know exactly how it should be done. - Rudy Francisco
25. If you are continually judging and criticizing yourself while trying to be kind to others, you are drawing artificial boundaries and distinctions that only lead to feelings of separation and isolation. - Kristin Neff
26. Practice self-compassion. Talk to and BE your own best, kind, compassionate, caring friend. - Kristin Neff
27. Taking time to relax every day, spending quality time with friends, and practicing mindfulness are some of the tried and tested ways of developing self-compassion. - Dr. Prem Jagyasi
29. Self-compassion is an inoculate for the mind, protecting it from potential harm. Emotional disease cannot contaminate the minds of those who are wise enough to love and accept themselves. - Miya Yamanouchi
30. When we give ourselves compassion, we are opening our hearts in a way that can transform our lives. - Kristin Neff
31. Be kinder to yourself. And then let your kindness flood the world. - Pema Chodran
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this article and found something to take away with you.
If you'd like to keep in touch, you can sign up for the Dwell in Magic weekly newsletter. I send an email once a week with a new article and some spiritual food for thought.
Jessica Dimas is the creator of Manifesting Magic with the Moon, a holistic self-care ritual bundle.
- Unlocking Serenity: The Art of Choosing Contentment - November 25, 2023
- Reclaiming You: How to Find Yourself Again - November 18, 2023
- The Freedom of Letting Go: Releasing Attachment to Outcomes - October 14, 2023