How can you trust yourself when you've likely been taught to seek guidance on the outside your entire life? What does it even mean and how can you know the difference between truth and wishful thinking?
In this article I'm going to share what I've learned about trusting the self and the main question that I ask myself when I want to tap into answers.
How to trust yourself
When it comes to trusting yourself, the old-school concept that needs to go is the mentality that you are this lost little thing that needs something outside of yourself to guide you.
The first step in trusting the self is acknowledging that you are not just a human, but consciousness that is having a human experience. You are consciousness–energy, awareness, and eternal.
This essentially means that only a portion of yourself is here in this physical body, and that you have access to this greater part of you that is always available to you.
We know this based on thousands of documented hypnosis studies, near death accounts, past life memories in children that are verified, and so many other countless human experiences and scientific findings.
Why do we forget how powerful we are? Why don't we easily remember past lives or where we actually come from? Because it would take away from the focus and learning experience of this lifetime.
But we're never disconnected and we always have access to deeper parts of ourselves that hold any answer we're looking for. And we don't even need to go that deep to retrieve the answers because we've got a built-in, automatic system that immediately lets us know what our greater self knows.
The answer lies in a feeling
You are essentially playing Marco Polo with your higher self at all times. The greater part of you stays steady in what is true and best for you, and you simply tune into the emotion you have when you think of any situation you're in in order to know where your inner being stands.
When you think of something and feel off or negative in any way, it's your greater self saying "I don't agree with the way you're viewing this...what I know to be true doesn't match your current perspective."
When you think of something and feel excitement, joy, or any other positive emotion, your greater self or inner being is saying "You're on the right path, seeing this situation the same way I do."
Fear, resentment, guilt, and shame are all common emotions that are letting you know you're thinking or believing something that your inner being isn't. You're very cold and lost off in the corner of the pool!
Joy, excitement, love, and appreciation are all common emotions that are letting you know you're thinking or believing something that your inner being knows to be true and wants for you. You're super hot and so close to your inner being!
Journal prompts for clarity
How can you know exactly where your emotions are coming from or how you feel about something truly if it's all muddled in your mind? Let's clear it up.
The following journal prompts will help you to clear your mind and connect with your inner being.
Part 1: Get it out
- How have I been feeling lately?
- What is stressing me out and why?
- Top 3 emotions I feel when I think of this situation
Part 2: Marco Polo
- Based on your emotions, is your Inner Being agreeing with you?
- What are 1-3 possible alternative perspectives your Inner Being has on this situation?
- Which of those alternatives feels the best to you? That's your Polo!
Part 3: New focus
- How do I want to begin feeling?
- How would my perspective have to change in order to feel this new way?
- What's something you can remind yourself of when you find yourself getting cold again? (When the negative thoughts creep back in, what can you do in order to bring yourself back into alignment?)
Tapping into intuition
The more you practice your intuitive skills, the clearer the channel becomes between you and that greater part of yourself that's rooted in eternal truth.
Here are some ways you can further practice receiving guidance (and with every single piece of information you receive, test it by how it makes you feel):
- Journaling: automatic writing happens when journaling your thoughts and you'll be amazed at what comes though.
- Dreams (regular, lucid, and OBE's): record all of them and interpret them yourself as no one else can even begin to guess what your dream experiences symbolize.
- Oracle/tarot cards: this is an excellent way to receive feedback on your current energy.
- Meditation: 15-20 minutes daily of quieting your mind or singular focusing clears and opens your channels, as well as raises your vibration to allow well-being to flow to you from your inner being.
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this article and found something to take away with you.
For esoteric self-care tips every Sunday afternoon, you can sign up for the Dwell in Magic weekly newsletter.
If you’d like more real life examples of everyday self-care, you can connect with me on Instagram.
And if you’d like more direct support and community with like-minded people, come join the Dwell in Magic Facebook group.
Jessica Dimas is the creator of Manifesting Magic with the Moon, a holistic self-care ritual bundle.
- How to Use a Spiritual Journal for Happiness & Growth - March 1, 2022
- 31 Self Compassion Quotes That Remind You of the Power of Being Kind to Yourself - February 9, 2022
- 5 Best Chakra Books and Journals - February 3, 2022